Snowbasin was a difficult race for me. Jed asked me how it was after I finished and I just pretty much cried. He just stood there not sure what to do, I hate when I do that to him! So I am about 5 weeks out from my surgery, and I know I need to realize that and go easy on myself but it is just hard for me to do. I didn't realize the race would be so tough. I saw my uncle Kelly right before the race and asked him how the course was and he said "Just think rocky and hot" and he was so right. It was only 17 miles, which is a longer race but still not terribly long. But the rockiness of the course seriously took it out of me, even on a full suspension. I didn't bring enough to drink, and the whole second lap I just kept thinking about food. My mind would totally wander and I would be thinking about gummy bears or something, or I would think "huh, that is a really pretty flower" and then I would be like "WOAH!!! Are you racing or not?" Anyways, I had a Gu right before and then another at the start of the second lap. I felt great after the second gu, but that lasted about all of 15 minutes. Then I just completely hit a wall. I was riding soooo sloppy. On a few uphill sections I just fell over into the bushes. It was really discouraging and really ridiculous. I was even laying in the dirt in the middle of the trail after one of my stupid falls (I had about 3!) when some of the pros came upon me totally in their way (sorry to Chris Holley!!!) I think I am just still really tired and my body is still recovering. These are the races when I ask myself if I am really even cut out for this??? I think about next year and what I would hope to accomplish, because we all want to win right? But then I ask myself if I have the time to commit and the energy and the especially the skills! There are so many fast girls out there it is easy to get discouraged. I'm glad I did it but there was definitely a reason I was crying at the end. Some lessons learned though-drink more, eat more. And that is a science I am still trying to figure out. Kelli Emmett was there from Giant(I think that is how you spell her name). I wanted to go interrogate her and ask her millions of questions. I always want to do that, just grill the pro racers and ask "HOW DO YOU DO IT????"
Here is me right before the race, I don't know why they call Ogden the armpit of Utah. It is really pretty!!!

Zac with Molly (we were dogsitting)

The start. They started us with two other groups (what is up with that???) There were 12 girls in the sport category and 4 DNF's. 12 is a pretty big group. I was intimidated. Jeanette tore it up! So awesome. I took 5th. Not my best, but I'll take it.

Zac in his pajamas and chocolate pudding face. We are great parents aren't we?

Pretty Snowbasin

Here is me about to die

Yay so glad to be done, and then the crying, cause I am really good at that. :)
8 comments:
Be proud of yourself!! You really are amazing. So, is this why you weren't running this morning? Stayed up too late working on your blog??? missed you!
You did awesome! Don't be so hard on yourself!!!
You should check out Rebecca Rush's blog she rides for Specialized and she has a lot of good info about how she manages nutrition for longer races.
http://www.rebeccarusch.com/
Heather, I'm not sure but you might be a little bit crazy! You kick some serious butt regardless of being post-op or not!
I can't tell you how many times racing has brought me either to tears or on the brim. (And Chris never understands.) It all becomes worth it though when you have that race that makes you feel on fire. Opposition in all things.
I understand the body not agreeing with where you want your body to be. Hang in there and soon you'll have the race to cheer about and many more after that.
Kendra
Thanks friends! Sorry I was a bit of a whiner in this last post. I always read things later and think I am so pathetic! I need to be more positive! KC I can't ever imagine you crying! You always seem so tough so that makes me feel better that I am not alone! :)Kendra sorry I had to hang up on you the other day! I felt so bad! I thought that dog was choking! I hope you are feeling better! BETH! It was soooo fun to ride with you and cody! You are awesome, thanks for the link. We need to go again soon! Lu I think I am crazy. You should come mountain biking with me!
Good job Heather! Seriously, give yourself a break... and then kick butt next race. ;) I'll make you a deal - I'll help you figure out the last of your training schedule for the marathon and run whatever long runs with you if you want, but you have to climb with me next week! Deal? :)
Love ya
I didn't realise how tough that was for you! You need to eat more, thats all... Your big race at the canyons is in the morning!!!
You will see this when it is all over. I can't believe how much biking you have done this summer.
Post a Comment