Over Labor Day weekend I did the Onion Day's Race in Payson. It was a beautiful day and luckily I had Jed and Cathie to help watch the kids. My father in law Craig did the race with me, which was so fun! So here is how the race went down. Normally I would probably ride in the sport (intermediate) category. There were 4 other girls there and we all opted to compete against each other so we all entered expert. 3 of those girls usually ride expert. I was pretty nervous to compete against them. I have seen them ride at most of the sundance races and they are all really fast girls. They are all really nice and super fun girls too and I am so excited to have met some fun friends to ride and train with. Anyways, we started the course. Expert rides 3 laps which ended up taking about an hour and a half. It was a really fun winding course with a lot of single track. Downhill Cyclery set up the race, so props to them!!! Well I felt really good and took off at the start behind 3 of the girls. I ended up passing two of them and holding my spot in second for the rest of the race. It was crazy, the whole time I kept thinking one would creep up behind me at any minute but it never happened. I saw the girl in first for a bit but never could catch her. This really boosted my confidence for next year. This guys who took 1st overall came hauling behind me on the last lap (lapping me!!) and said "Hey you are RIPPIN!" Pretty cool! I think my competetive side really comes out in these races and sometimes you just surprise yourself. I think I am totally addicted. I couldn't stop thinking about the race and how fun it was, I even dreamed about it! 12 hours of sundance is coming in 2 days!! AHHH!!!
Cathie and E





2 comments:
Great job Heather! Mountain biking is addictive isn't it?? I haven't ever raced but you are inspiring me!
That can not be your father-in-law he looks too young and fast....
Post a Comment