Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Race Thoughts...

Stan Crane Memorial:
Woke up at 6, pouring rain, checked the tweets from Ed, race delayed. Went back to bed, sure that we weren't going to race. At 8 jumped out of bed, pulled kids out of bed, threw everything in the car, drove up, still raining. Dropped kids at my amazing parents AGAIN. They are so supportive. Parking lot, surprised at all the cars. Surprised how dry everything seemed. Very very cold. Registered shivering. I didn't have time to warm up. Not even a bit of riding. 10 minutes to get ready. Starting line Ellen Guthrie and I, just two. Lined up with the pro women, Erica, Jenelle, Kathy, Sarah. Shivering. Erica says I probably shouldn't wear my jacket (jed's jacket). She was right, I was dumb and kept it on. Should have listened to her. Started off, HORRIBLE start. Legs won't move. Maybe it was the not warming up part? Legs burning RIGHT AWAY. Felt really weak on the flats. Ellen was HAMMERING the flats. Caught Ellen on the hills. She caught me again on the flats. Dang. Whole first lap I felt spent. Saw her off in the distance. 30 seconds? A minute? There's no way I'm going to catch her. I felt so HOT. Stopped. Took off the stupid jacket. Toe warmers falling off. Why did I wear those? They made it so hard to clip in. Never again. One more lap to go. Saw Ellen by the railroad tracks. She's close enough, don't give up Heather. Pound it. Coming towards the twisty tree section. Getting closer. Up the gravel road. Right on her tail. Under the bridge, she let's me go by! She didn't realize it was me. Ahead. Hold it together. A burst of energy. Keep looking back, the distance was growing. Leg's aren't burning now, just feeling strong and powerful. Finding my fast. Up the sandy switch backs, I can still see her back there. River ahead, downshift, rode through it! hit the climb up, fine. Home free, just hold it together. I see Erica, standing. Dang! Bike trouble? "You are winning, go go!" she says! Last section I'm all alone, enjoying the swooping and the twisting of the trail. Then mud mud mud. Keep going! You are there! The railroad tracks again??? 3 times? I see Jared, I see Keith, they are all finishing...Keith says go Heather!...last time up the gravel road. Home. Great race.

4 comments:

KC said...

I love how this post is written. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

Great job. I like how it was written too.

Dorothy said...

Way to go Heather!! I often tend to overdress, too. Not the best strategy. You are getting smokin' fast!

Katie said...

yay!!!