Monday, August 29, 2011

Leadville

Back in November I registered for the Leadville 100 Mountain Bike Race. I saw a movie about it, had heard all about it from fellow racers, and decided it was a goal of mine to do this race someday. Well that someday came August 13th. Somehow, I got one of 1700 coveted spots in the race. This race loomed above my head as an unknown for months. I was afraid of what I had committed to do. The Leadville race starts at 10,200 feet. It has around 14000 feet of climbing, all around or above this elevation. It peaks out at 12,600 ft. The "unknowns" that terrified me were of course the elevation. I had only been at higher elevations back in my mountaineering days on Rainier or the Grand Teton, and it always affected me differently. The other unknown was the course. I wanted to go to Colorado and preride but decided I didn't have any more money to spend on race related things, and I didn't have any more time I wanted to be away from my kids. Fueling and pacing was something else that really freaked me out. I have had bad experiences before pushing my body to extremes, namely the Top of Utah Marathon.
So I started training in February, and I can truly say I put the time in. I raced almost every weekly race, almost every ICUP, almost every Utah State Championship Series race, including the PC50.
I have had such a fun time training, but as the last few weeks came I really started to burn out. Luckily Dan Nelson (I paid him to help me figure out the three months leading up to Leadville) had good words of advice to keep me motivated, because he could tell I was spent. I really was ready, but mentally/emotionally I needed a break. So I took the last two weeks before the race pretty easy. We headed to Leadville on Wednesday. The whole experience was so amazing. Everything went perfectly. We stayed at a house with Gayle and Paul Olpin and their friends. They were all so much fun. We were able to walk to the start of the race which was nice. Paul and Gayle were awesome and helped us scout out the course. Paul drove us to Powerline, so I could see it. Powerline is a descent that is really tricky because you are packed in a line of people and there are trenches down the middle. I was really afraid of that section, which ironically turned out to be the most fun part for me.
Thursday we all went up to Columbine mine, the highest point of the course. This all helped me get an idea of what to expect.
The town of Leadville was really cool, it had a really fun vibe and Jed and I really enjoyed the time away.
Jed and I at Turquoise Lake
Jed rode the Scratch to the top of Columbine
Jed having fun coming down Columbine
We went to the prerace meeting, which was just like it is in the movie Race Across the Sky. It made me laugh, but it also got me pretty excited to race. I couldn't believe I was actually there!
Saturday morning, we headed over.

I couldn't believe how many people. Paul and I had to start at the very back. I was really intimidated to start with so many people down the street. It sounded really scary. But it ended up being fine. The start up Kevans was really really dusty and so crowded. Which was fine I guess because it forced me to pace myself a little slower. I wore the GoPro, which was funny, I felt like a dork but Jed said I would be glad I wore it, and I am now. :) I have some video footage that is priceless. I need to make a fun little movie of it. I got to the Powerline descent and it was just a riot, so much fun seeing all the people cheering for us. Then at Twin Lakes (mile 40) which I got to in 3:15, it was so fun to see Jed and everyone. They were all so awesome, I even had essential oils put on my chest and under my nose! Seriously!
Going up Columbine was really fun too. It was awesome to see all the pros bombing down the mountain. I cheered for Kelly Emmett, Rebecca, Amanda. It was awesome. The crazy thing was I was super hot. I had been so prepared for freezing temps, but I was overheating. The top of Columbine was even hot, at 12000 feet! Coming down was not my forte, I got passed by many men that I had passed coming up. Always very irritating. The flat roads were pretty dang boring, but I made friends along the way.
I kept my heart rate very even the entire race. I am not sure if that was a good idea or not, but I never really went over 150 BPM. Going up powerline was soooooo hot and miserable. And sooooo long. I couldn't believe I still had over 20 miles left. I kept thinking to myself, "WHY do people do this more than once?" When I had about 10 miles left I started to get really excited but I was so tired. I had to stop in the shade a few times and just drink a ton. Then I had to stop in the bushes and pee a ton, in front of tons of men going by. Fun. I still didn't know exactly where I was at this point. I started to get pretty tired, but then I figured I was going to be close to being under 11 hours, so I decided to push it a little. I rode with this guy who called me "pretty girl".
We seriously raced it up the boulevard. I could see the banner, and I was just teary. And then that was it. I finished around 10:51. When I saw Jed I just started crying and thanking him. It was such a relief. All the time and effort we have both put into this race, all the time I have been away training and everything worked out. I had no bike issues, I felt good, the weather was good. Life was good. I finished 12th in my age group, 39th overall women. I wish my time had been a little faster, but I think I will always wish that! :) Gives me something to work towards if I ever do it again. :)
Crossing the cheesy red carpet

Paul and I felt like ROCKSTARS! ha ha
This picture makes me LAUGH! :)
My amazing support. The BEST supporter ever! I love you Jed, you help me to accomplish my goals and help me dream big! As Marjorie Hinckley said of her husband, ""You have always given me wings to fly, and I have loved you for it." That is exactly how I feel.


7 comments:

Katie said...

This made me teary just reading all about it! I've been dying to talk to you about it and it was so fun to read the whole thing. You are amazing!!!! I love the picture of you and your friend where you are laughing!!

Becky said...

You are a rockstar! That is amazing and you do have such an amazing supporter, you are blessed!

Roxane said...

Heather,
I loved reading about Leadville! You didn't write that you told me it was "the hardest thing you have ever done." I don't think anyone will ever realise just how hard it was. I am really amazed by you!
Love, Mom

ER Dad said...

Way to crush it "pretty girl"! It's like doing the tour de france for mountain biking.

Ann said...

I loved reading all about your race,and learning about Leadville; thanks for sharing your experience it was so fun to go along with you!

Ann said...

This was so fun to read Heather, thanks for sharing, you are amazing!

Anonymous said...

You set a goal, you planned, you trained and you went prepared. Glad it all paid off. You rock! Congrats' on your finish.

Kendra